Tuesday, September 14th, 2010
Have you submitted your Claims Information Request Authorization Form and returned it to the Settlement Claims Administrator?
All claims must be postmarked no later than October 5, 2010.
To assist you in completing your Claim, you can request a report from the Settlement Claims Administrator that lists the Covered Out-Of-Network Services or Supplies that you provided January 1, 2002 through May 28, 2010.
However, you must authorize the Settlement Claims Administrator to send you this information. You must complete and sign the authorization form on the bottom of page 15 of the Claim Form to:
United HealthCare Class Action Litigation
c/o Berdon Claims Administrator, LLC
P.O. Box 15000
Jericho, New York 11853-0001
About the Litigation
MSSNY, the AMA and other parties filed a class action lawsuit against Defendants and alleged that Defendants provided insufficient reimbursement amounts for Covered Out-of-Network Services or Supplies including by:
· using a flawed database (the “Ingenix Databases) in determing reimbursement for Covered Out-Of-Network health benefits;
· using the out-of-network policies to reduce reimbursement amounts improperly for covered out-of-network health benefits; and
· inadequately disclosing the use of the Ingenix Databases and their out-of-network reimbursement policies.
There are Two Settlement Agreements
1) The Cash Settlement – The Settlement establishes a Cash Settlement Fund in the amount of $350 million plus accrued interest. If the Settlement Agreement is finally approved by the Court, members of the Settlement Class who submit a timely Claim Form will be entitled to payments from the Cash Settlement Fund.
2) Business Practice Initiatives – As part of the Settlement Agreement, and consistent with the terms of the separate “Assurance of Discontinuance” entered into with the New York State Attorney General, Defendants have agreed to certain commitments regarding their reimbursement practices and procedures for out-of-network healthcare benefits. United Health Group and its affiliates have agreed that they (a) will stop using the Ingenix Database that MSSNY and AMA allege are flawed, and, in their place, will use a New Database independently established and operated by a consortium of New York State university-level schools of public health led by Syracuse University; and (b) will contribute $50 million towards the funding and implementation of the New Database (in addition to the $350 million payment to the Cash Settlement Fund). The New York State Attorney General has entered into similar “Assurance of Discontinuance” agreements with the largest health insurers in the state, resulting in total contribution of nearly $100 million to support the New Data Base. The Report from the Settlement Claims Administrator may help you to complete the Claim Form.
Because the deadline to submit the Claim Form is October 5, 2010, it is very important to submit your Claims Information Request Authorization Form as soon as possible, if you haven’t already done so.
For more information, go to:
Berdon Claims Administration, LLC
Toll Free#: 1-800-443-1073 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-443-1073 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Facsimile: (516) 222-0271
Posted in HEALTH INSURER UPDATES | No Comments »